Project Manager (Electrical)
The Maintenance & Contracts service spends circa. £25 million annually improving, repairing, and maintaining a retained housing stock of circa 8000 properties and 15 sheltered schemes to our local “Ipswich Standard”.
The Maintenance & Contracts service spends circa. £25 million annually improving, repairing, and maintaining a retained housing stock of circa 8000 properties and 15 sheltered schemes to our local “Ipswich Standard”. The Council takes a holistic approach to stock management and has one seamless service that is now responsible for everything in connection with the asset management of that stock; from initial design to completing works on site on a right first-time basis using our own directly employed trade teams.
The main purpose of this post is to provide a comprehensive, high quality, customer focused service to the council for the effective management and delivery of contracts and programmes of work ranging from but not limited to electrical sub-main replacement, rewires to both domestic dwellings and sheltered housing schemes, five yearly electrical testing and inspection programmes of work.
Day to day
- To supervise the day-to-day on-site management 5 of large-scale contract works (individually up to £2 million in value) as well as other smaller contracts as required.
- To ensure contracts are completed on time in a safe manner and complying with terms and conditions of contract. To also complete to the required quality standards of materials and workmanship whilst ensuring cost effectiveness and efficiency at all times.
- To manage, coordinate and allocate the work for numerous subcontract and some directly employed operatives (up to 50 tradesman) on site at any one time on a number of properties simultaneously to ensure the work is completed in the correct order and to the standards required.
- Develop a contract programme before works commence. Maintain all necessary contract documentation.
- Ensure customer satisfaction i.e., high quality, works carried out in accordance with specification, works completed within programme.
- Managing directly employed tradesmen, fostering good industrial relations, dealing with employee related matters e.g., appraisals, disciplinary procedure, timesheets monitoring performance and maintaining KPI’s.
- Manage health and safety within area of responsibility maintaining health, safety and welfare of employees, subcontractors, tenants and other members of the public, ensuring that employees are trained in, and adhere to, safe working practices.
- Liase with client officers and technical staff as necessary to ensure levels of customer care and service are maintained at all times and supervise the trade work force.
The successful candidate will have:
- At least 3-5 years Electrical Project Management experience in a comparable environment.
- Likely Membership of a relevant professional organisation.
- Experience of managing staff, budgets and contractors.
- Demonstratable experience in a full range of electrical installations and industry specified works, together with thorough understanding and qualification in related electrical regulations.
- Experience of managing contractors and delivery to timescales and budgets.
- Previous experience with the use of Keystone Asset Management system would be an advantage.
Applicants will hold a professional building service-related qualification (HNC/HND or an NVQ level 5) and ideally will also have served a recognised apprenticeship and can demonstrate both staff and project management experience.
Applicants will be expected to have a good knowledge of building electrical installations and relevant legislation and be able to communicate effectively with tenants, contractors, Councillors and colleagues. This will include writing contractor briefs, tender specifications, reports for management teams and Member committees.
As well as a good salary, we offer a career average pension scheme, generous holiday and sick pay entitlements, subsidised parking, public transport discounts, free swimming, cycle purchase scheme, plenty of personal and professional development opportunities, flexible working, hybrid working opportunities, Employee Assistance Programme and the opportunity to work with great colleagues.
Please download the Job Description and Person Specification to find out more about this role: Job description and Person specification
The assessment interview process will be carried out remotely via Skype for Business, Microsoft teams or in person.
Early applications are encouraged as we reserve the right to interview candidates who meet the essential criteria prior to the closing date and / or to close the opportunity to applicants once we receive sufficient applications.
For more information about this role please contact David Mackinnon on 07917-076655 or via email at email@example.com
Gipping House – Ipswich
£34,723 – £36,298
Application closing date
30 April 2023
Full-time – 37 Hours per week