Show and Events Assistant (Crew)
We are looking for a person with a drive for hard work and excitement to join our current team of Shows & Events Co-ordinators (Stage Managers) in two of the region’s premier entertainment venues.
Can you help be an integral part of the crew? and join our team to look after Unloading/Loading Trucks? Setting up LX, PA, set scenery, Mojo Barrier installation, AV, Assist in LX focus including running and taping cables, hovering/ sweeping of the stage, general labour?
If so, this could be your ideal next role. We are looking for a person with a drive for hard work and excitement to join our current team of Crew in two of the region’s premier entertainment venues – the Grade II listed Ipswich Regent Theatre and the Corn Exchange & Town Hall complex. These venues host more than 200 high quality, popular, diverse, and affordable performances each year – everything from West End musicals to the biggest names in comedy, music, dance and family entertainment including our co-produced professional pantomime.
An exciting opportunity
This is a very exciting time to join our team. You will play a central role in assisting all aspects of stage and backstage management of our celebrated and historical venues, helping the technical staff with load in and load outs and ensuring the highest standard of support to our visiting shows.
With no pressure of a full time contract this job can be flexible to work around your needs with a minimum of 5 hours per year requirement to work. However additional hours can be accrued when working unsociable hours.
Ipswich Regent Theatre is the largest theatre in East Anglia with seating for 1535 people. Our vision is to become the region’s top provider of high quality, popular, unmissable and often iconic large-scale live theatre entertainment.
The Corn Exchange is linked with Ipswich’s impressive Town Hall. We have an ever increasing number of shows in the Grand Hall that has a seating capacity for 783 people and 1,025 for standing performances. We aim to make it a premier destination for mid-scale standing music concerts.
What you will be doing
- Assist the Show and Events Co-Ordinator in providing services to Promoters and Hirers, including event set up, show breakdowns including:
- Unloading/Loading Trucks of Scenery items, Lighting equipment, sounds equipment and taking deliveries.
- Setting up LX, PA, set scenery, Mojo Barrier installation, AV, Assist in LX focus including running and taping cables, hovering/ sweeping of the stage, general labour.
- Should a show require Catering assistants you may be asked to assist in the catering areas either running or operating.
- Should a show require Wardrobe assistants you may be asked to assist in the costume department if your skills are so that you can mend/repair costumes, dress during a show or any other assistance needed.
- Should a show require Follow spot you may be asked to operate the follow spot.
- Maintenance of the venues, keeping backstage areas tidy, painting areas of the building that need addressing, cable tidying, maintaining the upkeep of the storage units.
- Processing and understanding show riders, crew call sheets and schedules.
Who we’re looking for
- An enthusiastic individual with a drive for hard work, good communication skill and literacy skills.
- A professional with previous relevant experience in theatre and entertainment is desirable but not essential as we will train you.
- Someone with a passion for theatre and entertainment who has an innovative, creative, and proactive approach to service development and has a great work ethic combined with proven organisational and leadership skills to help deliver and develop a highly professional back of house service aiming for the very highest standards.
- A person experienced in managing operational risk effectively and able to work under pressure, with basic knowledge of H&S compliance, fire, security, and emergency procedures, these are also desirable however not essential as we will train you in areas you require.
What it’s like to work here
- Working for Ipswich Theatres as part of the Commercial Development Department is an invigorating and rewarding experience:
- Our business runs on 4 core beliefs at our venues and in our programming and customer service – we pride ourselves on being welcoming, spirited, flexible and striving for excellence.
- Our specialisms are broad, so you will learn and grow with us.
- Our teams are fabulous people to work with – we encourage friendly supportive behaviour which is deeply enveloped around our attention to excellent customer care delivery.
- We always expect our staff to positively express their views, to listen to ours, to listen to each other and to be part of decision-making processes.
- We’re proactively committed to diversity and equal opportunity for all.
- We’re very supportive of our staff achieving a happy work-life balance.
- Every single member of staff benefits from Ipswich Borough Council’s superb welfare and wellness support such as our LifeWorks – Employee Assistance Programme and network of Mental Health First Aiders.
As well as a good salary, we offer a career average pension scheme, generous holiday and sick pay entitlements, subsidised parking, public transport discounts, free swimming, cycle purchase scheme, plenty of personal and professional development opportunities, flexible working, hybrid working opportunities, Employee Assistance Programme and the opportunity to work with great colleagues.
For more information about this role please contact Abbie Farnworth (Technical Manager, Ipswich Theatres) via email at email@example.com
Please download the Job Description and Person Specification to find out more about this role: Job description and Person specification
The interviews will be held on week commencing the 5th June 2023.
The assessment interview process will be carried out in person or remotely via Skype for business or Microsoft teams.
Early applications are encouraged as we reserve the right to interview candidates who meet the essential criteria prior to the closing date and / or to close the opportunity to applicants once we receive sufficient applications.
Closing date: 31st May 2023
Various Entertainment Venues, Ipswich
£11.18 per hour
Application closing date
31 May 2023
Annual 5 hours
Ipswich Borough Council
15-17 Russell Road
- 01473 432000